2 cups wheat flour
3 ripe small bananas/ cherupazham / palayankodan pazham
2 cups jaggery, grated
3 tsp back sesame seeds
1 tsp cardamom powder
2 tsp ghee
oil for frying
- In a pan, add jaggery and melt it adding 1/2 cup of water, strain it and keep it aside to cool completely.
- Puree the bananas using a blender and keep it aside.
- In a bowl, add wheat flour, melted jaggery, pureed banana and mix well with hand.
- Add little water if required and mix well. Add black sesame seeds and cardamom powder and mix well.
- Add ghee to this and mix well. Keep it covered for 1/2 an hour.
- Heat an unniyappam pan and pour oil till half. When oil becomes hot, reduce the flame and pour 3/4 th full of batter in each hole.
- Cook the unniyappams on low-medium flame till the sides gets cooked.
- Then turn it using a skewer or spoon gently and cook the other side until it turns golden brown colour and cooked..
- Remove from the pan and drain them on paper towels. Repeat the same process with the remaining batter… Serve hot as a snack…
- Use 3 big size ripe cherupazham / palayankodan ( small bananas)
Recipe Source: Lekshmi Nair