1 big pomfret / avoli (3/4-1 kg)
3 shallots, sliced
1/2 tbsp ginger, sliced
1 tbsp garlic, sliced
1 1/2 tbsp kashmiri chilli powder (adjust to your spice level)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2-3 kudampuli /gambooge, soaked in little water
2 sprig curry leaves
2 pinch fenugreek seeds
salt to taste
2 tbsp coconut oil
- Cut the pomfret into pieces, clean it and keep it aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a manchatti / clay pot and splutter fenugreek seeds.
- Add sliced shallots, ginger and garlic and saute for few minutes.
- Add kashmiri chilli powder and turmeric powder and mix the masala well.
- Add soaked kudampuli and required water to make enough gravy to cover the fish pieces.
- Add salt to taste and bring it to a boil over medium flame.
- Add cleaned fish pieces and gently swirl the pot to mix the gravy and pieces well.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 10-15 minutes on a medium flame.
- Add curry leaves and coconut, cook on low flame for 5 more minutes and switch off the flame..