For Kadumbu (Rice dumplings)
2 cups rice flour
1/2 cup grated coconut
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1 small onion, chopped
2 cups of water
For Muringayila / Drumstick Leaves Gravy
2 cups muringayila / drumstick leaves
1 big onion, chopped
1 big tomato, chopped
4 green chillies
1/2 tsp + 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 cup grated coconut
1 tsp fennel seeds
2 tsp chilli powder
2 tbsp coriander powder
salt to taste
1 tbsp coconut oil
- For preparing kadumbu, first crush grated coconut, fennel seeds and small onion together.
- Boil water and salt in a pan. Add this boiling water to the rice flour and mix well.
- Add the crushed coconut mixture and knead well to a smooth dough.
- Make small balls out of the dough and slightly flatten it and steam cook in a steamer for 10-12 minutes..Keep them aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp coconut oil in a pan and add fennel seeds, grated coconut, chilli powder, coriander powder and 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and roast till brown.
- Switch off the flame and keep it aside to cool completely. Then grind to a smooth paste adding little water and keep it aside.
- In a pan, add drumstick leaves, chopped onion, tomato, green chillies, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, salt and 1 cup of water and mix well and cook covered at medium flame.
- Then add ground coconut paste and enough water, mix well and cook for few minutes. Adjust the salt.
- When it boils well, add the prepared kadumbu/ rice dumplings into this, mix well and cook on low flame for 5 minutes or until the gravy is thick and well coated with rice dumplings….Serve as a main dish…