For the prawn mandi marinade:
1/2 kg big prawns with head
1 tsp pepper corns
small piece cinnamon
1/2 tbsp pepper powder
1/2 tbsp crushed cumin
1/2 tbsp arabic masala / kabsa masala
1 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
1 tbsp mint leaves
1 chicken stock cube, powdered
1/2 cup capsicum, finely chopped
1/3 cup oil
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ginger powder
red food colour (optional)
salt to taste
For the mandi rice:
1/2 kg sella basmati rice
1 piece cinnamon
1 dried lemon
1/2 tsp arabic masala / kabsa masala
2 tbsp oil
salt to taste
capsicum, thinly sliced
2-3 whole green chillies
a piece of charcoal (to give smoky flavour)
1 tsp olive oil
- Wash the sella rice and soak in water for 3/4-1 hour.
- In a large thick bottomed pan, add cleaned prawns, 3 cardamoms, pepper corns, cloves, cinnamon, pepper powder, crushed cumin, arabic masala, coriander leaves, mint leaves, chicken stock cube, finely chopped capsicum and 1/3 cup oil and mix well with hand.
- Add garlic powder, ginger powder, red food colour and salt to taste and mix well. Keep it aside at least for 1/2 an hour.
- Switch on the flame and cook covered till dry and well fried, stirring in between. Add 2-3 tbsp oil in between if required.
- In the meantime, boil enough water in a large pan and add 3 cardamoms, 3 cloves, 1 cinnamon, dried lemon, 1/2 tsp arabic masala, 2 tbsp oil and salt. Add drained rice to this and cook till done.
- Then drain the water from rice and add the cooked rice immediately over the cooked prawns (keep 6-7 prawns aside for garnishing).
- Then place some thinly sliced capsicum and whole green chillies on top of rice.
- To get smoky flavour to the rice, place a small steel bowl inside the rice.
- Heat a piece of charcoal on direct flame until it is nicely hot, this will take a few minutes. Once the charcoal is hot, place it in the bowl that is in the rice and pour a tsp of oil on top.
- Cover the pan immediately with a tight lid and keep it in low flame for 10 minutes. Then open the lid and mix gently.
- Transfer to a large serving plate and garnish with reserved prawns. Serve with salata hara, salad etc…
Recipe Source: Fadwas’s Kitchen (YouTube)