1 1/2 cup cauliflower florets
1/2 cup toor dal
1/4 tsp + 1 tsp turmeric powder
1 small onion, sliced
1 tomato, chopped
3 green chillies
gooseberry size tamarind
2 tsp chilli powder
1 1/2 tbsp sambar powder
1 teaspoon jaggery
1 tsp mustard seeds
3 dry red chillies
1 tsp fenugreek seeds
1 sprig curry leaves
salt to taste
2 tbsp coconut oil
- Soak tamarind in little water, extract its juice and keep it aside.
- In a pressure cooker, cook the toor dal adding enough water and 1/4 tsp turmeric powder till soft. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a thick bottomed pan and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add fenugreek seeds and dry red chillies and mix well.
- Add shallots, sliced onion, garlic, green chillies and curry leaves and saute well.
- Then add chopped tomato, cauliflower florets and mix well.
- Add chilli powder, 1 tsp turmeric powder, salt and enough water and cook covered till its almost cooked, not mushy.
- Once cooked, open the pan and add sambar powder, tamarind extract and cooked dal and mix well. Add water if needed.
- Add jaggery to this and mix well and allow it to boil.
- Remove from the flame and serve with rice / dosa /idli / chapati etc….
Recipe Source: Shabosphere (Instagram)