1/2 cup raw rice / payasam rice (unakalari)
3/4 cup melted jaggery / sharkara
3 cups thin coconut milk (3rd extract)
2 cups semi thick coconut milk (2nd extract)
3/4 cup thick coconut milk (1st extract)
1/2 tsp cardamom powder
1/4 tsp cumin powder
1/4 tsp dry ginger powder
a pinch of salt
2 tbsp ghee
1 1/2-2 tbsp coconut pieces
1 1/2 tbsp cashew nuts
1 tbsp raisins
- Wash the rice, drain it and keep it aside.
- In a pressure cooker, add drained rice and thin coconut milk (3rd extract) and cook for 9-10 whistles on high flame till the rice is cooked well.
- Transfer the cooked rice to a thick bottomed pan / uruli and add melted jaggery, mix well and cook till the rice absorbs the melted jaggery and completely dry.
- Add the semi thick coconut milk ( 2nd extract) into this, mix well and let it boil till the payasam thickens, stirring in between.
- Mix the cardamom powder, cumin powder and dry ginger powder with the thick coconut milk (1st extract) and add to the payasam and mix well. Switch off the flame before it starts to boil.
- Heat ghee in a small pan and fry sliced coconut till light brown.
- Add cashew nuts and raisins and fry till it turns golden brown. Add this to the payasam and add a pinch of salt and mix…Serve warm…