3/4 cup peas dal / chana dal ( kadalaparippu)
150-200 gm beef
1 tsp + 1 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1″ piece ginger
3 green chillies
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp pepper powder
2 sprig curry leaves, chopped
1/2 tsp asafoetida
salt to taste
oil for frying
- Wash and soak dal in water for 3-4 hours.
- Pressure cook the cleaned beef pieces with 3/4 -1 tsp chilli powder, turmeric powder, ginger-garlic paste and salt. Then shred the cooked beef pieces and keep it aside.
- Crush together shallots, ginger, green chillies, fennel seeds, few curry leaves and 1 tbsp soaked dal to a coarse mixture. Keep it aside.
- Drain the water from soaked dal and grind it into a coarse paste without adding water (don’t make it paste, crush it lightly).
- Transfer this to a bowl and add crushed mixture and mix well.
- Add shredded beef, chopped curry leaves, asafoetida, 1 tsp chilli powder, pepper powder and salt and mix well with your hand.
- Make small balls out of the mixture and flatten them with your palms.
- Heat oil in a pan and drop the prepared vadas gently to the hot oil and fry them on medium flame till they turn golden brown and crispy.
- Drain on paper towels and serve hot with tea / coffee…