1/2 kg clams with shells / kakka / elambakka
1 cup grated coconut
1 1/2 -2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
gooseberry sized tamarind
1 tomato, chopped
3 green chillies, slit
2 sprig curry leaves
salt to taste
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp coconut oil
- Soak the clams in some water for 30 minutes. Then wash the clams thoroughly under running water about 4-5 times to remove any sand or dirt. Drain the water and keep it aside.
- Soak tamarind in little water for 15 minutes.
- In a blender, add grated coconut, shallots, chilli powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder and grind well adding enough water and keep it aside.
- Transfer this ground paste to a manchatti / clay pot and add tamarind water and enough water and mix well.
- Add chopped tomato, green chillies, curry leaves and salt and mix well.
- Add cleaned clams, mix well and boil well. Adjust the salt and cook well till the shells are opened and the clams meat are cooked well. Switch off the flame.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds and add curry leaves.
- Pour this over the curry and mix well. Serve with rice, pathiri, neer dosa etc..