1/2 kg pearl spot / karimeen, cleaned
3 tsp + 1 1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp + 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp lemon juice
small lemon sized tamarind
1 cup shallots, finely chopped
small piece ginger, finely chopped
6-8 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tomato, finely chopped
1 tsp pepper powder
1/4 tsp fennel powder
1 cup coconut milk
4-5 green chillies
1 sprig curry leaves
salt to taste
coconut oil, as required
- Clean the fishes and marinate it with 3 tsp chilli powder, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, lemon juice and salt. Keep it in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Soak tamarind in little hot water, extract its juice and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and shallow fry the marinated fishes and keep it aside.
- Add 1 tbsp oil in the same pan and add chopped shallots and salt and saute well till transparent.
- Add finely chopped ginger and garlic and saute well.
- Add chopped tomato and saute well till it cooked and soft.
- Add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1 1/2 tsp chilli powder, pepper powder and fennel powder and saute for 2 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and then grind it by adding 3-4 tbsp of coconut milk.
- Pour this ground paste into the same pan and add tamarind extract and mix well.
- Then add remaining coconut milk, mix well and add chopped green chillies and curry leaves.
- Place fried fish on this masala and cook at low flame till the fish is done and the gravy thickens.
- Switch off the flame and serve hot…