10 okra/ vendakka/ ladies finger
1/4 cup grated coconut
2 tsp chilli powder
1 1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1 tbsp tamarind pulp
2 green chillies
1 tsp jaggery (optional)
a pinch of fenugreek powder
1 tsp mustard seeds
2 dry red chillies
2-3 shallots, chopped
few curry leaves
- Chop the okra into pieces and keep it aside. Soak tamarind pulp in 1/4 cup water for 10 minutes.
- In a pan, dry roast the grated coconut, chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and cumin powder until brown.
- Grind the roasted coconut with little tamarind water to a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a pan and saute the chopped okra and green chillies with little salt. When half done, add the ground paste and remaining tamarind pulp and enough water.
- Cover and cook until the okra is cooked well and the gravy thickens.
- Add the jaggery and fenugreek powder and mix well. Check the salt and adjust the spice level.
- Heat oil in another small pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add dry red chillies, curry leaves and shallots and fry until golden brown and pour this seasoning over the gravy. Serve hot with rice…
Recipe Source: Adukala Vishesham