1 big bitter gourd/ pavakka/ kaipakka
1 tomato, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
3 green chillies, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
tamarind- size of a lemon
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 sprig curry leaves
- Chop bitter gourd into small pieces and keep it aside.
- Soak tamarind in 1/4 cup water, extract its juice and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add onion and saute for 2 minutes. Add green chillies, tomato, garlic and curry leaves and saute well.
- Then add chopped bitter gourd, turmeric powder and salt and stir well for 2-3 minutes.
- Add tamarind extract (add more water if needed), mix well and simmer until the bitter gourds are cooked well and gravy is thickened.
- Remove from flame and serve as a side dish for rice…..