This is the vellayappam without coconut and rice flakes/ aval is used for its preparation…
2 cup raw rice/ pachari
1 cup white aval/ rice flakes
1/2 tsp yeast
1 tbsp sugar
- Soak raw rice in water for 3-4 hours and grind it to a smooth batter adding little water.
- Add aval/ rice flakes (soaked for 10 minutes in little water) to the ground batter and blend well again.
- Transfer the ground batter to a large bowl and add yeast and sugar and mix well. Keep it for fermentation for about 6-8 hours.
- When batter is fermented well, add salt, mix well and keep it aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat an appachatti/ non stick pan and pour a ladleful of batter in the centre and rotate the pan in a circular manner.
- Cover with a lid and cook on medium flame until the appam is cooked well. Transfer it to a plate and repeat with the remaining batter..Serve with any curry of your choice…