2 large tomatoes, chopped
2 green chillies
2 garlic cloves
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
3/4 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp pepper powder
a pinch of asafoetida powder
1/4 cup coriander leaves
small lemon sized tamarind
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
salt to taste
1 – 1 1/2 tbsp oil
- Soak tamarind in 1 cup of warm water for 15 minutes, extract its juice and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute well till the tomatoes are soft and cooked.
- Add turmeric powder and chilli powder and saute until its raw smell goes.
- Make a paste of green chillies, garlic and cumin seeds and add this paste to the tomato mix and saute for 2-3 minutes on low flame.
- Add salt, pepper powder, asafoetida powder and coriander leaves and mix well.
- Then add tamarind water and 1 cup of water and boil on medium flame until froth starts forming at the top. Check for salt.
- Switch off the flame and garnish with chopped coriander leaves and close the pan for few minutes. Serve with rice…..