2 large tomatoes, chopped
2 green chillies
2 garlic cloves
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
3/4 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp pepper powder
a pinch of asafoetida powder
1/4 cup coriander leaves
small lemon sized tamarind
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
salt to taste
1 – 1 1/2 tbsp oil
- Soak tamarind in 1 cup of warm water for 15 minutes, extract its juice and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute well till the tomatoes are soft and cooked.
- Add turmeric powder and chilli powder and saute until its raw smell goes.
- Make a paste of green chillies, garlic and cumin seeds and add this paste to the tomato mix and saute for 2-3 minutes on low flame.
- Add salt, pepper powder, asafoetida powder and coriander leaves and mix well.
- Then add tamarind water and 1 cup of water and boil on medium flame until froth starts forming at the top. Check for salt.
- Switch off the flame and garnish with chopped coriander leaves and close the pan for few minutes. Serve with rice…..
Recipe from Asianet
One of my favorite…
This sounds so good!
love the tangy flavors,yummy with hot steamed rice!
Thank you dear friends 🙂