1/2 cup brown chickpeas / kadala
1 cup raw plantain/ pachakaya/ kaya
3/4 cup grated coconut
2 green chillies
1 -2 garlic cloves
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp pepper corns
1/2 turmeric powder
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
2 dry red chillies
few curry leaves
salt to taste
- Soak brown chickpeas overnight or atleast 7 hours and pressure cook it adding enough water and salt. Drain the water and keep it aside.
- Peel and chop raw plantain into cubes.
- Grind 1/2 cup grated coconut, green chillies, garlic clove, cumin seeds and pepper together to a semi fine paste and keep it aside.
- In a pan, add the cubed raw plantain, turmeric powder, chilli powder and cook it adding water till it is soft and water is almost evaporated.
- Add the cooked chickpeas, ground coconut mixture and salt to the cooked plantain , mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes. Remove it from flame.
- Heat oil in a small pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add dry red chillies and curry leaves and fry for few seconds.
- Then add 1/4 cup grated coconut and roast it until golden brown in color. Add this over the curry and mix well. Serve with rice..