1 cup rice flour ( I used pathiri podi)
1/4 cup urad dal flour
1 tbsp butter, softened
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp sesame seeds
2 pinch asafoetida
salt to taste
warm water as needed
oil for frying
- Roast 1/2 cup urad dal in a pan till it turns light brown and nice aroma comes. Allow to cool completely and then grind it to a fine powder. Sieve it and use 1/4 cup for this murukku and store remaining in an air tight container for later use…
- In a bowl, take the rice flour, urad dal flour, cumin seeds, sesame seeds, salt, asafoetida and butter and mix well.
- Add warm water little by little to this and knead to a smooth non sticky dough.
- Take a murukku press / mould , use the star shaped disc and fill it with the dough. Squeeze it to form spiral shape on a parchment paper or directly to the hot oil.
5. Heat oil in a pan and carefully take the murukku from the parchment paper ( I used my steel spatula) and drop gently to hot oil.
6. Fry them on medium flame till they turn crisp and light brown on both sides. Drain in paper towel and repeat the same for the remaining dough.
7. Cool down to room temperature and then store in an air tight container….Enjoy as a tea time snack…