2 cups rice flour / idiyappam podi
water as required
1/2 kg prawns / chemmeen
1- 1 1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 onion, finely chopped
1/2 tsp ginger paste or crushed
1/2 tsp garlic paste or crushed
1 sprig curry leaves, chopped
1 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
1/2 cup grated coconut
salt to taste
- Clean the prawns and marinate it with chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt and keep it aside for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the marinated prawns and keep it aside.
- In the same oil, add the chopped onion, ginger-garlic paste and curry leaves and saute well.
- Add grated coconut and little salt to this and stir well for 3-5 minutes on medium flame.
- Then add the fried prawns and chopped coriander leaves and mix it well. Switch off the flame and transfer this prawns masala to a bowl.
- To prepare idiyappam dough, boil water in a pan adding enough salt.
- In a mixing bowl, take the rice flour and add the required amount of boiling water and mix thoroughly by stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Then knead it with your hands until the dough becomes soft.
- Fill the dough in an idiyappam maker/ press and rotate/press little dough gently into the greased idli plates.
- Top it with 1 tbsp of prepared prawns masala and then press another layer of idiyappam over it.
- Place the idli plates in a steamer and steam cook for 10-12 minutes or until done…Serve hot…