1/2 kg tapioca/ kappa
250 gm prawns
1 cup grated coconut
2 big onions, thinly sliced
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tomato, sliced
2 tsp ginger, chopped
1 tsp garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
4 green chillies, chopped
1 kudampuli/ gambooge soaked in 2 tbsp water
1 tbsp coconut milk
1 tsp turmeric powder
1/2-1 tsp chilli powder
3/4 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp fennel powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
3/4 tsp fennel seeds
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp urad dal
2 dried red chillies
1 tsp mustard seeds
2-3 sprig curry leaves
2 tbsp mint leaves
1/4 cup coriander leaves
salt to taste
2 tsp ghee
oil as required
- Peel and cut the tapioca into small cubes. Cook the tapioca pieces in enough water adding 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and salt. Drain the water and keep it aside.
- Grind grated coconut with 1 green chilly, 2 shallots, 1/4 tsp fennel seeds, 1/4 tsp cumin seeds, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and 1 sprig curry leaves to a coarse mixture and keep it aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and splutter 1/2 tsp mustard seeds and add 1/2 tsp fennel seeds.
- Add 1 tsp chopped garlic and 1 tsp chopped ginger and saute well.
- Add sliced onions and salt and saute well till light brown. Add 2 green chillies and curry leaves and mix well.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, chilli powder and coriander powder and saute well till raw smell disappears.
- Add sliced tomato and saute well till soft. Add soaked kudampuli with its water and about 3-4 tbsp of water and mix well.
- Then add the cleaned prawns and cook it covered for 2-3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk into this and mix well. Check for salt and switch off the flame.
- In another thick bottomed pan, add 1 tbsp oil and splutter 1/2 tsp mustard seeds. Add dried red chillies and urad dal and saute for a minute.
- Add 1 tsp ginger chopped, finely chopped onion, 1 green chilly chopped and salt and saute till transparent.
- Add coconut mixture and curry leaves into this and mix well for 2 minutes.
- Now add the cooked tapioca , mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes at medium flame.
- Then add the prepared prawns masala, chopped mint leaves, coriander leaves, fennel powder, garam masala , pepper powder and 2-3 tbsp of water and mix well.
- Add 2 tsp of ghee, mix it well and cook covered for 2-3 minutes. Remove from the flame and serve hot….
- Adjust the spice level to your taste…
Something different and nice. We usually eat boiled kappa with spicy chilli sauce.