3 cups leftover cooked rice ( parboiled / matta )
1/4 -1/2 cup rice flour / puttupodi (or as required)
1 cup grated coconut
salt to taste
- Keep the leftover cooked rice in the freezer for about 6-7 hours or overnight. Then take the frozen rice and keep it outside for few hours or put the rice in water.
2. When the rice separates, squeeze excess water from the frozen rice and powder/ grind it to a smooth powdered form using a mixie ( the mixture will looks like rice flour).
3. Add little puttupodi and salt to this and mix well with hand without any lumps. No need to add extra water..
4. Take a puttu maker and layer it with grated coconut first, then the rice flour and then a layer of grated coconut. Repeat the process till the puttu maker is filled.
5. Fill pressure cooker/ puttu kudam with 3-4 cups of water and bring to a boil.
6. Place the puttu maker on top of it and steam cook for 5-7 minutes or until the steam starts coming out from the top of puttu maker.
7. Remove it to a plate and serve this hot soft puttu with kadala curry / banana or any spicy curry of your choice….