3/4 cup banana stem/ vazhapindi, chopped
1/4 cup grated coconut
1/4 inch ginger, chopped
5 dry red chillies
small piece tamarind
1 1/2 tbsp urad dal
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1 sprig curry leaves
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
salt to taste
2 1/2 tsp oil
- Cut the banana stem into rounds and pull the fibre from the edges using fingers and remove them. Then chop into small pieces and keep it aside.
- Heat 1/2 tsp oil in a pan and roast urad dal, dry red chillies and tamarind together till the dal starts to get golden colour.
- Then add ginger and asafoetida and cook for just fifteen seconds and switch off the flame. Transfer this to a plate and allow the mixture to cool.
- Once the mixture cools down, add this to the blender along with chopped banana stem and grated coconut and pulse / grind it to make a powder.
- Then add some salt and water to this and grind it to make a fine paste.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds and add curry leaves.
- Pour the seasoning over the chutney,mix well and serve with idli/ dosa….
Recipe adapted from here….