2 1/2 cup kumbalanga/ ash gourd, cubed
1 cup grated coconut
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
4 green chillies
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
2 dry red chillies
1 sprig curry leaves
3 shallots, sliced
salt to taste
1 tbsp oil
- Peel and chop kumbalanga into small cubes.
- Grind grated coconut with cumin seeds, 1 green chilly and little water to a smooth paste and keep it aside.
- In a pan, add the kumbalanga pieces and cook it adding turmeric powder, 3 slit green chillies, few curry leaves, salt and enough water on medium flame until it turns soft and tender.
- Add the ground coconut paste to the cooked kumbalanga, mix well and cook for 4-5 minutes over medium-low flame till the raw taste of coconut is completely gone.
- Adjust the salt and switch off the flame.
- Heat oil in a small pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add curry leaves, dry red chillies and shallots and fry until the shallots turns brown.
- Pour this over the curry and keep it covered for 10 minutes.. Serve with rice..