1 large raw plantain, peeled and diced
1 1/2 cup chena/ elephan yam/ suran, peeled and diced
1/2 cup brown chickpeas / kadala
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp black pepper corns
2-3 green chillies, slit
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 1/2-2 cups grated coconut
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp jaggery
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
2 dry red chilles
2 sprigs curry leaves
salt to taste
1 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- Soak brown chickpeas overnight or atleast 7 hours and pressure cook it adding enough water and salt for around 5 whistles or until soft. Drain the water and keep it aside.
- In a pan , roast the grated coconut adding 1 tsp oil until until golden brown in color and keep it aside.
- Crush cumin seeds and black pepper corns using a mortar and pestle and keep it aside.
- Cook the diced raw plantain and yam with green chillies, curry leaves, turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt adding 1 1/2 -2 cups of water . ( or pressure cook for 1 whistle adding around 3/4 cup of water).
- Cook for about 15-20 minutes until they are done and the water almost evaporates completely.
- Open the lid and mash the vegetables slightly. Then add the garam masala, crushed cumin seeds and black pepper and 1 cup cooked kadala and mix well. Adjust the salt.
- Add 1/2 tsp jaggery and roasted coconut to this, mix well and cook for 1 minute at low flame. Switch off.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add dry red chillies and curry leaves and fry for few seconds.
- Pour this over the prepared kootu curry and keep covered for 10 minutes.
- Open the lid and mix well. Serve hot with rice..