1/2 cup beetroot, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup tomato, chopped
1/2 tsp pepper corn
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
2+1 dry red chillies
big gooseberry sized tamarind
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 sprig curry leaves
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1 tbsp ghee
salt to taste
2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
- Soak tamarind in little water, extract its juice and keep it aside.
- In a pan, dry roast pepper corns, cumin seeds, coriander seeds and 2 dry red chillies until slightly browned. Cool down and grind it to a coarse powder and keep it aside.
- Heat 1 cup water in a pan and add chopped beetroot and tomato and cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and let it cool. Then grind to a make a coarse puree.
- In a pan, add beetroot puree, tamarind paste, garlic cloves, curry leaves and 2 cups of water and cook on low flame for 8-10 minutes.
- Add the roasted powder and salt and cook on medium flame until the raw smell goes and the rasam boils well.
- Heat ghee in a pan and splutter mustard seeds and add asafoetida and 1 dry red chilli.
- Pour this to the rasam and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.. Serve with rice…