3/4 cup black chickpeas / kadala
2 cup grated / desiccated coconut
2 big garlic cloves
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp pepper corns
small gooseberry sized tamarind
1/4 tsp + 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 1/2 tbsp kashmiri chilli powder
1 tbsp coriander powder
2 sprig curry leaves
2 dry red chillies
1 tsp mustard seeds
salt to taste
1 tsp + 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Soak kadala / chickpeas in water for 5-6 hours or overnight.
- Soak tamarind in little water , extract its juice and keep it aside.
- In a pressure cooker, add drained chickpeas, 15 shallots, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, salt and cook adding 2 1/2 cup water for 1 whistle.
- Then reduce the flame to medium-low and cook for 2 whistle.
- In a pan, add coconut, 4 chopped shallots and sliced garlic cloves and dry roast.
- When it is half done, add cumin seeds, pepper corns and 1 tsp coconut oil and roast well.
- Add 1 sprig curry leaves and roast till golden brown.
- Switch off the flame and add kashmiri chilli powder, coriander powder and 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and mix well.
- Transfer to a plate and allow to cool. Then powder it using small jar of mixie and then grind to a smooth paste adding little water.
- Add this coconut paste to the cooked chickpeas and add tamarind extract.
- Adjust water and salt and boil well till the gravy thickens. Switch off the flame.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add dry red chillies and curry leaves and fry.
- Pour this over the theeyal and mix well. Serve hot…