1 cup dried prawns
2 drumsticks, cut into pieces
1 1/2 cup grated coconut
1 1/2 tsp + 1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp fenugreek powder
gooseberry sized tamarind
1 medium onion, chopped
3-4 green chillies, slit
1 medium tomato, chopped
2 sprig curry leaves
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
salt to taste
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
4 shallots, sliced
2 dry red chillies
coconut oil, as required
- Clean the dried prawns and wash it and drain in the strainer.
- Heat a pan and dry roast it for few minutes till crispy and keep it aside.
- Soak tamarind in little water, extract its juice and keep it aside.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan and add grated coconut and roast until it turns brown.
- Reduce the flame and add 1 1/2 tsp chilli powder, coriander powder and fenugreek powder and mix well.
- Switch off the flame and keep it aside to cool. Then grind to a fine paste and keep it aside.
- In a pan, cook the dried prawns along with chopped onion, drumsticks, green chillies, tomato, curry leaves, 1/2 tsp chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt and enough water for about 20 minutes.
- Add the tamarind extract and mix well. Bring to a boil and add the ground coconut paste and mix well.
- Cook on medium – low flame for about 6-8 minutes. When it boils well, remove it from the flame.
- Heat 2 tsp coconut oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add dry red chillies, sliced shallots and curry leaves and fry until shallots turn brown.
- Pour this seasoning over the curry and keep it covered for 10 minutes.. Mix well and serve with rice..