2 cups rice flour / idiyappam podi
2 1/4-2 1/2 cup water
salt to taste
1 tsp ghee
1/2-3/4 cup grated coconut, or as required
- Boil water in a pan adding enough salt.
- In a mixing bowl, take the rice flour and add the required amount of boiling water and mix thoroughly by stirring with a wooden spatula.
- Then knead it with your hand adding 1 tsp ghee until the dough becomes soft.
- Lightly grease the insides of the idiyappam maker / press and fill it with enough dough.
- Take a puttu maker and place the perforated steel disc on the bottom and add 1 1/2 tbsp grated coconut.
- Then gently rotate / press a large layer of dough directly into the puttu maker and again add the grated coconut. Repeat the process and finish off with the grated coconut on the top.
- Fill pressure cooker/ puttu kudam with 3-4 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Place the puttu maker on top of it and steam cook for 5-7 minutes or until the steam starts coming out from the top of puttu maker.
- Remove gently to a plate and serve with sweet plantain stew or any spicy curry…