1/2 kg meen thala / fish head
3-4 kudampuli pieces / gambooge
1 tbsp ginger, crushed
1 tbsp garlic, crushed
4 green chillies
1 sprig curry leaves
2- 2 1/2 tbsp kashmiri chilli powder
3/4 tbsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 big tomato, chopped
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp fenugreek seeds
1 green chilli, finely chopped
3 shallots, sliced
1 tsp ginger, finely chopped
1 tsp garlic, finely chopped
salt to taste
coconut oil, as required
- Clean and wash well the fish head and keep it aside.
- Wash and soak kudampuli in little water and keep it aside.
- In a bowl, soak together kashmiri chilli powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder adding little water for 10 minutes.
- Heat a large manchatti / clay pot and add 2-3 tbsp coconut oil and splutter mustard seeds.
- Reduce the flame and add fenugreek seeds and curry leaves and mix well.
- When colour starts to change, add crushed ginger, garlic and 4 slit green chillies and saute well.
- Blend the soaked chilli masala to a paste adding little water and add to the pan and mix well till raw smell goes and oil separates.
- Add salt and chopped tomato and mix well. Add kudampuli pieces and mix well.
- Then add water as required and boil well. Adjust the salt.
- Add cleaned fish head and cook covered at medium-low flame till done, turning in between.
- Heat 1 tbsp coconut oil in a pan and add 1 finely chopped green chilli, shallots, chopped ginger and garlic and saute till brown.
- Reduce the flame and add 1/2 tsp chilli powder and mix well.
- Switch off the flame and add to the curry…Serve with rice, kappa etc…