2 cup pumpkin/ mathanga , cut into pieces
1/4 kg jaggery
2 cup thin coconut milk
4 tbsp sago/ chawwari
1 cup thick coconut milk
a pinch of salt
3 tbsp ghee
1 tbsp sliced coconut
1 tbsp cashew nuts
1 tbsp raisins
- Peel and cut pumpkin into small pieces.
- Cook the sago adding enough water till it turns transparent and bubble-like. Keep it aside.
- Melt jaggery adding 1/2 cup of water, strain it and keep it aside.
- In a thick bottomed pan, add pumpkin pieces and cook it adding 1 1/2 cup of water till soft and mashed well.
- Add 2 tbsp ghee into this and saute well. Then add jaggery syrup and saute well.
- Add thin coconut milk, cooked sago and a pinch of salt and boil well at medium flame till the payasam thickens, stirring in between.
- Then reduce the flame to low and add thick coconut milk and mix well. Switch off the flame before it starts to boil.
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a small pan and fry sliced coconut till light brown.
- Add cashew nuts and raisins and fry till it turns golden brown. Add this to the payasam and mix…Serve warm…