1 cup peas dal / chana dal ( kadalaparippu)
1 cup mint leaves, finely chopped
1 tsp ginger, finely chopped
3 green chillies
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 medium onion, finely chopped
a pinch of turmeric powder
1/4 tsp asafoetida powder
salt to taste
1 tsp oil
oil for frying
- Wash and soak dal in water for 3-4 hours.
- Finely chop the mint leaves and keep it aside.
- Drain the water from soaked dal and grind it into a coarse paste without adding water (don’t make it paste, crush it lightly).
- Transfer this to a bowl and add chopped mint leaves, chopped onion, green chillies, ginger, turmeric powder, asafoetida, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, salt and a tsp of oil and mix well with your hand.
- Make small balls out of the mixture and flatten them with your palms.
- Heat oil in a pan and drop the prepared vadas gently to the hot oil and fry them on medium flame till they turn golden brown and crispy.
- Drain on paper towels and serve hot with tea / coffee…