2 cups kovakka / ivy gourd, cut into round pieces
3 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
2 tsp kashmiri chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1- 1 1/2 cup cooked rice water / kanji vellam
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
2-3 dry red chillies
1 sprig curry leaves
salt to taste
2-3 tbsp coconut oil
- Heat coconut oil in a pan and add kovakka pieces and little salt and fry for 2 minutes. Transfer it to a bowl.
- In the same oil, splutter mustard seeds and add dry red chillies and curry leaves.
- Add sliced tomatoes, turmeric powder and chilli powder and saute well adding little salt till tomatoes are cooked well and mushy. Then mash well with a spatula.
- Then add about 1-1 1/2 cup of rice water (kanji vellam) and mix it well.
- When it boils well, add fried kovakka and cook for 3-4 minutes till gravy thickens and oil separates.
- Switch off the flame and serve with rice….
- You can add normal water if you don’t have cooked rice water.
Recipe Source: Ayesha’s Kitchen