1 cup black eyed beans/ payar
1/2- 3/4 cup grated coconut
2 cloves garlic
2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
a small lemon sized tamarind
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- Soak black eyed beans in water and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles adding enough water and salt.
- Soak tamarind in little water, extract the juice and keep it aside.
- Heat a pan in medium heat and add grated coconut and roast till they are almost golden.
- Add shallots, garlic, few curry leaves, chilli powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder and fry for few minutes and grind it to a smooth paste adding little water.
- Heat oil in another pan, splutter mustard seeds and add fenugreek seeds and curry leaves.
- Add ground paste, tamarind extract and salt and boil it well.
- Add the cooked black eyed beans and mix well. Cover and cook for few minutes and serve hot….