1/2 cup toor dal
2 cup ridge gourd/ peechinga/ tharavirikka
1/2 cup shallots
4-5 big garlic cloves
5 dry red chillies
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 sprig curry leaves
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
2 tbsp oil
- Cut ridge gourd into small pieces. Cook toor dal adding enough water till half done. Drain the water from it and keep it aside.
- Crush shallots, garlic and 3 dry red chillies together and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, splutter mustard seeds and add 2 dry red chillies and curry leaves.
- Add crushed ingredients (step 2) and turmeric powder and saute well for few minutes.
- Then add chopped ridge gourd , cooked dal and salt and stir fry for few minutes till dry and cooked. Serve as a side dish for rice….