1 cup raw rice/ white rice
1/2 cup cooked rice
1/2 cup grated coconut
1/2 tsp yeast
1 tsp sugar
1 medium beetroot
- Wash and soak raw rice in water for 4-5 hours.
- Then grind it along with cooked rice, grated coconut, yeast and salt into a smooth batter adding little water and keep for fermentation for about 10-12 hours (or overnight).
- Peel and cut beetroot into small pieces and microwave or cook it with 1/4 cup of water till it turns tender. Cool and then grind it with 1/4 cup of water to a smooth puree.
- Add this beetroot puree to the fermented batter and mix well. Check for salt and add if required.
- Heat a non stick pan/ appachatti and pour a ladleful of batter and rotate the pan in a circular manner.
- Cover with a lid and cook on low flame till the appam is cooked well and the edges start turning brown.
- Remove the appam from the pan and transfer it to a plate. Repeat the same with the remaining batter..Serve with any curry of your choice…
That's a very innovative recipe…