1/2 kg churakka / bottle gourd, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup vellapayar / black eyed beans
1 cup grated coconut
3-4 green chillies
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp mustard seeds
2 dry red chillies
1 sprig curry leaves
salt to taste
1 tbsp coconut oil
- Wash and soak black eyed beans / vellapayar in water for 3-4 hours.
- Peel and chop churakka into pieces and keep it aside.
- Grind grated coconut, 2 shallots, green chillies and cumin seeds together to a smooth paste and keep it aside.
- In a pressure cooked, add the soaked vellapayar and pressure cook for 3 whistles adding enough water.
- Add chopped churakka, turmeric powder , chilli powder and salt to this and cook for 1 whistle at medium flame.
- Then add coconut paste, mix well and cook at low-medium flame for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a small pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add 3 sliced shallots,dry red chillies and curry leaves and fry till brown.
- Pour this over the curry and then serve with rice….