1 medium raw mango / pacha manga
1/4 cup toor dal
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp pepper corns
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 inch ginger, chopped
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 dry red chilli
1 sprig curry leaves
a big pinch of asafoetida
salt to taste
2 tsp oil
- Peel the mango and chop into small pieces.
- Grind together pepper corns, cumin seeds, coriander seeds and ginger to a coarse powder without adding water.
- In a pressure cooker, add toor dal and cook it adding a cup of water till soft.
- Once the pressure releases, open the cooker and mash well the cooked dal until mushy using a masher / ladle.
- Then add 3 cups of water and when it starts to boil, add the chopped mango pieces, turmeric powder and salt.
- Cook the mangoes till soft and mash some mango pieces with ladle. Adjust the salt.
- Add the ground masala powder and allow the rasam to just become frothy in low to medium flame and switch off the flame.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add broken dry red chilli and curry leaves and fry.
- Switch off the flame and add asafoetida powder in this hot oil.
- Add this seasoning to the rasam and mix well…Serve with rice….
Recipe Source: www.lincyscookart.com