2 radish / mullangi
1/2 cup toor dal/ thuvaraparippu
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 cup shallots, sliced
2 medium tomatoes
3 green chillies
small gooseberry size tamarind
2 tbsp sambar powder
½ teaspoon asafoetida
½ teaspoon jaggery
1 tsp ghee
1 tsp mustard seeds
2 dry red chillies
1 sprig curry leaves
salt to taste
2 1/2 – 3 tbsp coconut oil
1-2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
- Peel and cut the radish into thin pieces and keep it aside. Soak tamarind in little water, extract its juice and keep it aside.
2. In a pressure cooker, cook the toor dal adding enough water and turmeric powder till soft. Remove from heat and allow cooker to cool.
3. Once cool, open and mash the dal and keep it aside.
4. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a thick bottomed pan and add shallots and saute.
5. Add sliced tomatoes and green chillies and saute for 3 minutes till soft.
6. Add sliced radish and saute for 4-5 minutes on medium flame.
7. Add cooked dal, salt and required water and cook for 10-12 minutes.
8. Add tamarind mix to this and boil for 5 minutes.
9. Mix sambar powder in 1/2 cup of water and add into the sambar and mix well.
10. Stir in asafoetida and jaggery and simmer together for a few minutes.
11. Adjust the salt and add 1 tsp ghee. Remove from heat and keep it aside.
12. Heat oil in another pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add dry red chillies and curry leaves and fry.
13. Pour this tempering over the sambar and garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Serve with rice / dosas or idlis….