2 cups vazhapindi / banana stem, finely chopped
1/4 cup green gram / cherupayar
1/2 cup grated coconut
3-4 green chillies
2 garlic cloves
1 sprig curry leaves
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
2 dry red chillies
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
salt to taste
1 tbsp oil
- Soak green gram/ cherupayar in water overnight and pressure cook it adding enough water and salt and keep it aside.
- Cut the banana stem into thin rounds and pull the fibre from the edges using fingers and remove them. Then chop into fine pieces and soak them in water till you use.
- Crush together grated coconut, shallots, garlic cloves and green chillies and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add dry red chillies and fry.
- Add chopped banana stem, turmeric powder and salt and mix well and cook covered in low flame, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle little water if required.
- Then add cooked cherupayar, curry leaves and crushed coconut mixture, mix well and cook covered for 2-3 minutes on low flame. Remove from flame and serve with rice…