1/2 cup toor dal
2 medium onions, cubed
1 big potato, cut into cubes
1 big carrot, cut into cubes
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 big piece pumpkin, cut into cubes
2 big green chillies
small lemon sized tamarind
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp heaped kashmiri chilli powder
2 1/2 heaped tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp asafoetida
1/4 tsp fenugreek powder
1 tbsp jaggery, grated
1/2 cup coriander leaves, chopped
salt to taste
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
4 dry red chillies
1 sprig curry leaves
1 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- Cut the vegetables into big square pieces. Soak tamarind in 2 cups of water and keep it aside.
- In a pressure cooker, add the vegetables, toor dal, tamarind water, turmeric powder, kashmiri chilli powder, coriander powder, asafoetida, salt and 2 cups of water and mix well and cook for 3-4 whistles.
- Open the cooker and add fenugreek powder and grated jaggery. Adjust the salt and coriander leaves and heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Add dry red chillies and curry leaves.
- Pour this to the sambar and mix well. Serve with idli / dosa…
Recipe Source: Lekshmi Nair Vlogs