250 gm chopped vegetables – potato, carrot, drumsticks, okra/ vendakka, beans, raw plantains, brinjal etc
1 big tomato, chopped
3/4 cup toor dal
3 green chillies, chopped
1 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 cup tamarind extract (gooseberry sized tamarind )
3 shallots, chopped
2 tbsp sambar powder
1/2 tsp asafoetida
2 sprig curry leaves
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
3 dry red chillies
few coriander leaves
2 tbsp oil
- Soak tamarind in 1/2 cup of warm water for 10 minutes and take its extract and keep it aside.
- Cook the tool dal adding turmeric powder, salt and enough water in a pressure cooker till done.
- Open the cooker and add chopped carrot, raw plantains, potato and about 2 cups of water to the cooked dal. When the vegetables are half cooked, add remaining vegetables like drumsticks, okra, brinjal, green chillies, tomato and salt and cook till all the vegetables are cooked.
- Mix sambar powder and asafoetida with little water and make a thick paste.
- Add tamarind extract and sambar powder paste to cooked dal vegetable mixture and bring to boil.
- Heat oil in another pan and splutter mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds.
- Add dry red chillies, shallots and curry leaves and fry till the shallots becomes golden brown. Add this to the sambar and mix well.
- Add coriander leaves and remove from flame….Serve with rice/ idli/ dosa….